Leh Town (Lat 34 10'N, Long 74 53'E) is the Leh District headquarter and largest town of Ladakh Region of Jammu & Kashmir State. It is situated about 6km from the right bank of the River Indus. The town lies about 3505m above the mean sea level. Leh palace is a legacy of Ladakhi's wars with Kashmir rulers in the 19th Century. A miniature version of Potala Palace in Lhasa (Tibet) and is the highest building in the World of his own times.
The construction of nine storied palace on the Tsemo hill initiated by Tsewang Namgyal founder of the Namgal Dynasty (A.D. 1533-1834) in A.D. 1553 and completed by Tsewang's nephew, Senge Namgyal, the most illustrious King of Ladakh. The material used in the construction of the Palace is stone, mud bricks, poplar wood, mud mortar and wooden rafter's. The mud plaster utilized is locally known as Mar-kalak. Only the chapel inside the Palace is in religious use and it contains a stucco figure of Du-kar (a form of Prajnaparamita). Originally the capital town Leh was founded in Circa A.D. 14th century by on Khri-gstug-L de. It pronounced as Sle or Gle in the begining with the passage of time its spelling changed to "Leh" yb Moravian missionaries, who preferred the German orthography.
As a part of efforts to preserve historic Leh, THF (The Heritage Fund) Project is restoring the historic house of Norchung, Hanupa and Domkapa.
© Archeological Survy of India